Summer is here, and the weather is perfect for hitting the beach, which means it’s time to explore the 5 best beaches in the Kennebunkport Maine area! Southern Maine is known for having the best of all worlds – soft sand beaches and the iconic rocky coast that graces so many images of Maine. But Kennebunkport truly takes the cake, because in addition to offering beautiful beaches, it is home to a thriving culinary scene, incredible art galleries, and boutiques that line the streets of Dock Square.
But with blue skies and perfect beach weather today, it is time to hit the shore – and reveal our 5 favorite beaches in the area:
- Gooch’s Beach – the longest of the Kennebunk Beaches, Gooch’s Beach sits just a
mile from the Maine Stay Inn. You’ll find great stretches of sand for lounging, walking, or summer games, and it is bordered by a jetty into the Atlantic at one end and Narragansett Point on the other, which means Instagram worthy photo-ops to capture the sandy and rocky coast of Maine. Best of all, there is a great walkway along the seawall that means you can run, walk, or roll without getting sand in your shoes! And during the warm weather you’ll find portable toilets at each end of the beach to ensure you can stay as long as you’d like.
- Goose Rocks Beach – grab your car and head about 12 minutes outside of Downtown Kennebunkport. It’s definitely worth the trip for the classic sand dunes and glimpses of baby seals. Plus, this is the best spot for collecting sand dollars!
- Mother’s Beach – this is the smallest of the Kennebunk Beaches and has the most limited parking spots (but there are plenty a short walk away – just make sure to pick up parking passes, complimentary as part of our Kennebunkport Summer Experience Package). This beach is great for families, offering a fantastic playground just off the sand, but also a perfect spot for those looking for expanses of sand, even at high tide.
- Wells Reserve – Just over the border and about a 5 minute drive from Dock Square, you find Laudholm Farm, part of the Wells National Estuarine Research Center. Its secret beach is a bit of a walk from the parking area, but is totally worth it. Probably one of the best “hidden gems” on the Maine Coast, it offers seemingly endless stretches of super soft sand and the peacefulness of your own private beach.
- Colony Beach – Just a half-mile from Downtown Kennebunkport, you’ll find one of the best spots to catch the sunset. Overlooking the mouth of the Kennebunk River where it meets the Atlantic, you can enjoy the rock jetty or a spot on the sand. Close enough to stroll to, and with an ice cream shop a stone throw away, this a Kennebunkport beach not to miss.
Picking the 5 best beaches in Kennebunkport was no small feat, with countless options to choose from. Just as your Kennebunkport concierge to suggest some of the quiet coves and secret spots that make this the perfect summer vacation destination.
If you follow the Maine Stay Inn on social media sites like Instagram or Facebook, you might have noticed that some changes are in the seasonally chilly air! We firmly believe that continually updating our Maine bed and breakfast means always improving the guest experience and constantly aspiring to provide the absolute best for our guests. Each winter, we undertake our more extensive projects, but this season’s project takes the cake!
Visitors often commented on the rather petite size of our kitchen, but those who didn’t
merely blinked while passing through the space. It really was that small. So for years we have wondered how to improve the space, given the strict zoning laws in historic Kennebunkport Maine. Well this year we finally figured it out! After relocating the clown-car sized office to the basement and carefully crafting a reception area for welcoming visitors in a previously unused area, we were able to carve out a little more cooking space and build a true hallway to easily access the Garden Room and the Deluxe Fireplace Suite.
Best of all, a local artist has loaned us some of her works to grace the new walls! Carol Santoro is an acclaimed artist who specializes in pastels as her preferred medium, and often showcases her love for animals in her works. As a local, she often uses local animals like the horses who pull the sleighs at Rockin’ Horse Stables or the carriages through Dock Square, and some of those have found their way to the Maine Stay!
And while our project hasn’t been quite completed yet, we are very happy to share a sneak peek of the results so far! The flow of ground floor of the Main House has brought a wonderful change to this historic mansion. So stay tuned for more renovation updates and come check out our work in person!